We had a friend over to hang out on Labor Day and the boys felt like barbequing, so I decided to try another burger recipe. I found this recipe for Vegan Black Bean Burgers with Cornmeal.
2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup salsa
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic salt
Like many recipes I have come across recently, this one called for a food processor to mix up the patty ingredients. I’m relatively new to this “cooking from scratch” thing, so I don’t have a food processor yet. I used some good old fashioned elbow grease and mashed the black beans with a fork, which took a hot, sweaty while, and then mixed the rest of the ingredients in with the beans.
1. Place beans in food processor; process until fairly smooth. Add flour, cornmeal, salsa, cumin and garlic salt. Process until well combined.
2. Spoon mixture into 6 balls on a large plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours before cooking. (I didn’t have one to four hours, so I put the plate in the freezer for about half an hour.)
3. Heat barbecue grill or ridged grill pan over medium heat. Coat grill or pan lightly with oil. Form each ball into a 4-inch patty about 1/2-inch thick. Place the patties on the grill or in pan and cook until browned and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
These came out so delicious. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, with a spicy flavor. I melted a little Daiya pepperjack cheese on the bun, added a slice of tomato, and some salsa verde. These will be my regular vegan burgers for quite a while I think, much better than store bought ones.
In addition to the burgers, I enjoyed grilled corn and bell peppers, watermelon, strawberries. Take a look at our omnivore/vegan friendly spread! We are going to be having leftovers all week!
Eric really wanted some Mexican rice like his grandma always makes, but that calls for chicken stock. I substituted vegetable stock and added some vegan chicken flavored bouillon. You can see it in the blue pot above. The original recipe is located here and the adapted recipe is below.
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 of a medium onion
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon vegan chicken flavored bullion
1 cup plain tomato sauce
4 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped parsley (optional)
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the fresh onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add dry rice and cook with the onions for about 5 minutes or until rice becomes a golden brown color. Add in the garlic to the rice and sauté for one more minute.
2. Mix broth and bouillon. Add in broth/bouillon mixture and tomato sauce (add slowly into the rice, not directly onto hot pan!) And then add in the parsley if you’re using it. Stir it up and bring to a boil.
3. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 20 minutes and fluff with a fork.