My mom has been experimenting with different vegan ice cream and cheese recipes lately and, man, are we lucky to be her taste testers. On Labor Day, she served up some Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream, adapted from the cookbook, The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the “Real” Thing by Wheeler Del Toro. It was the best vegan ice cream I have ever had. I definitely recommend giving it a try.
- 1 cup chocolate soy milk, like Silk chocolate soy milk
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 cups soy creamer
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder (the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup, but we found that it gave the ice cream a slightly gritty texture and figured that it was too much)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup soymilk with arrowroot and set aside.
- Mix soy creamer, remaining 3/4 cup soymilk, sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips in a saucepan. Stirring frequently over low heat, melt chocolate chips, then bring to a boil. Once mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and immediately add arrowroot cream. This will cause the liquid to thicken noticeably.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate mixture until chilled, approximately 2 to 3 hours. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
YIELD: 1 quart