This is a slow cooker recipe with good flavor that adds some variety to our standard evening meal rut. It’s from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. My only complaint is that I’m not a fan of slow cooker recipes that require 30 minutes of prep and cooking before even putting the food in the slow cooker. It’s not absolutely required, but the cook book says that cooking it in advance gives it the best flavor.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen artichoke hearts or 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or chopped dried apricots (I didn’t add these)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, for garnish (I didn’t have any)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, for garnish (I didn’t add this)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked chickpeas (optional – I am definitely adding those next time)
- For the best flavor, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer. Add the eggplant and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on the coriander, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, and cayanne, and stir to combine. Alternatively, omit the oil and saute these ingredients in a few tablespoons of water or combine them in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker. Add the artichokes, bell pepper, olives, raisins, and chickpeas. Stir in the broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 hours.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot, sprinkled with the lemon juice, parsley, and lemon zest.
- Serve over couscous.